Search This Blog

Thursday, October 10, 2013

The Return To The Future

It has been  a while since my last post and to be honest I attribute that to a watering down of truth within me. Initially truths flowed like a spring and the more I tried to push it to the pace of social media the more I found myself unexpectedly concerned with what came out than with what was in. So can I say problem solved, truth is back? Maybe. Maybe because truth is everywhere and always around us. Am I the sole master or discerner and 'mentioner' of it, not at all. My truth is here with me, will it be truth to anyone else, well you be the judge...

The truth for today is this:

What is the nature of art in a world where everyone is producing or saying something profound? And that is to just ask of ubiquity, there is also the pace at which this is happening. Every second, I read a tweet, facebook status, instagram caption and marvel. Every second art is in motion. Gone are the days where you had to spend your entire life slaving for that one trip Rome or Paris to get arted up. Now google can take you there while you sit in your underwear in a dark room, for free.

The real interesting thing happens when you look at who the artists are. Anyone and everyone in a moment of brilliance, or should I say moments. I find myself now wondering if there will still be critics in the next 50 years. How do they critique a million comments a day? I guess everyone now plays the role of the critic but does that mean the most followed is the most artistic expression of the day. What of those things we are drawn to on a whim? Those cat memes for instance.

Maybe this is that old insecurity lingering from my own worry that I have become irrelevant. To slave over a book for years in the hopes that this will last throughout the ages as a great work. To take time to type this all out in perfect diction in the hopes that it will be up there old man plato. Does it still matter. Cant I just cough and click send and that should suffice as art?

The truth is that those days are gone. The truth is that this is a new age. The truth is that this is what that old man wanted all along. For everyone, everywhere to be able to express that which they were born to. To not have to claw and fight for attention but to share in the collective awareness that what is artistic is not individual but more an expression of what humanity is as a whole. As an artist, or more appropriately, as a human being there is a comfort in knowing that someone out there is doing or thinking the same thing as you. You are not alone. There are partners as well audiences out there. If you are in need of a partner ask me sometime? Better still if you need an audience link me up with your social addresses and I will support and follow you to the end of my days. Peace. Love. Truth

No comments:

Post a Comment